Wire is simple right? Maybe not! Here are the top five things to know when selecting wire and cable products for use in designs that will be CE Marked:
- Wire and cable products sold in the EU must be CE Marked under the Low Voltage Directive, and MAY bear BOTH the CE Mark and the HAR mark. The HAR mark may only be applied by manufacturers that have met the requirements for the use of the HAR mark. More information on the HAR mark.
- The HD 21.X and HD 22.X Harmonization Documents previously used for determining compliance and applying the CE Mark are being replaced by the EN 50525.X family of standards starting on 2014-01-17. See the list.
- Wire and Cable products with Declarations of Conformity that refer to older versions of the Low Voltage Directive, or that refer to HD documents that have been superseded are NO LONGER COMPLIANT.
- Wire and Cable products used in “large-scale” machine tools and fixed installations do not need to meet WEEE requirements.
- Designers are not required to use CE Marked wire and cable products in CE Marked Products.
Need to know more? Check out this article!