CSA Z1006 Management of Work in Confined Spaces is now available for Public Review.
As new standards are developed and existing standards are revised, they are made available for public review and comment. If you are interested in Confined Space Entry and would like an opportunity to review the proposed changes to the standard, read on!
This Standard specifies requirements for and guides the activities required to manage all aspects of work in confined spaces following the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle and management system principles such as those set out in CSA Z1000-15, Occupational health and safety management. This Standard specifies requirements concerning management commitment, leadership, and participation, assignment of roles and responsibilities, identification of confined spaces, identification of hazards, risk assessment, selection and application of controls, design considerations, training, monitoring and measurement, emergency response, documentation, internal audits, and management reviews.
Five informative Annexes guide users in the standard’s normative requirements, including sample forms that can be customized for the user’s specific needs.
This Standard provides:
- An overview of the steps an organization needs to take to establish and maintain an effective confined space management program;
- Safety information for workers entering confined spaces and for persons responsible for ensuring the safety of such workers; and
- Requirements for confined space emergency preparedness and rescue.
Clause 4 specifies general requirements for a comprehensive confined space management program.
Clauses 5 to 8 specify requirements for planning and implementing a confined space management program. Clause 5 specifies roles and responsibilities. Clause 6 specifies requirements for hazard identification and risk assessment, development of entry procedures, emergency response planning, and assessment of worker capability for performing assigned duties within a confined space. Clause 7 specifies requirements related to training, and Clause 8 specifies requirements related to controls, emergency response activities, and documentation.
Clauses 9 and 10 specify requirements related to incident investigation and analysis, corrective actions, internal audits, and management reviews. These activities can help ensure worker safety and facilitate the continual improvement of a confined space management program.
Changes in this edition include:
- Improved flow and readability of the document with the inclusion of additional flowcharts and tables and restructuring of content and clauses;
- Added two additional informative Annexes to elaborate and provide additional information on rescue planning and atmospheric testing, monitoring and instrumentation;
- Updated the document to harmonize with CSA Z1000, Z1001 and Z1002; and
- Elaborated on the information on workspace design and modification.
Use the following link to access the draft standard and comment on any issues you may see in the document: Management of work in confined spaces, New Edition | CSA Public Review System
Thanks to Jill Collins at CSA Group for this notification.
© 2015 – 2022, Compliance inSight Consulting Inc.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.